Saturday 29 June 2013

DD's Essential Packing Tips

Many people have been asking me "What are the essentials for an interminable rail journey around Europe?"  Search me springs to mind but as D-day approaches the need for answers becomes ever more pressing.  Here's the advice that you won't find on those run of the mill sites.

 
First up is that absolute essential - flat pack bog paper. This chap has been to India three times and done the Warsaw - Amsterdam sleeper so already has invaluable experience. I wouldn't leave without it as I suspect that there are bits of the former Eastern Bloc where they still use Izal.


All GCERCers are under strict orders to bring a shot glass and a reserve. I'm hoping for a good placing in the 'Most Appropriate Shot Glass for a Train Trip' with my first choice. My back up is a natty little number from a set created  specially for West Lothian Council Housing Department and eventually given away so that the cupboard space could be used. Good to see council tax being used so imaginatively.  I am still swithering over whether to take the decanter with me.






I wouldn't dream of taking a train trip without my trusty thermos flask. Just place it on the table and you are almost guaranteed sole occupancy.



 


I have never been able to carry off the rugged stubble look so shaving kit is an essential for me. This trip I will be giving a debut to this mini size toiletry. Indian marketing gurus are brilliant. I would never have thought of calling a shaving foam 'Sliver'.


 

 The 'Holy Shreddies' campaign has produced excellent results and been extended to include 'Sunday socks'. Every day my luggage will get a little lighter.  One thing that will not be getting discarded is the hat.




HOT NEWS  -  You can now follow DD on Twitter.  Yes it's true. DD has joined the 21st Century and become a Twit. Follow all of the inaction with @DisorientatedD. Look out for #GCERC.

We don't normally run adverts but here is a chance if you have missed the GCERC boat. The Independent is running a competition to win 2 First Class Eurail passes valid for a month! You could even get the Sicilian train ferry in on that one.

Our next issue will feature a Celebrity Interview with GCERCer Jason C, a man who makes Howard Hughes look like Piers Morgan.

2 comments:

  1. the extra shot glass isnt a spare mate, you will be expected to be keeping two shorts on the go at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are a naturalised Scot you could solve the Shreddie dilemma by wearing a kilt as long as caution is observed in ascending to the upper berth. If you remain a Yorkshireman at heart then you will of course require your Shreddies as a place to store your purse, as you will be travelling with at least one Scouser!

    ReplyDelete